Granite countertops are a bliss. Many people fall in love with them due to the several benefits that this stone can bring into their households and overall aesthetic, hence their ongrowing popularity in interior design. However, there are always new trends to consider: what about leathered countertop finishes?
You see, leathered countertops are a branch of special finishes that optimize the look of granite. In comparison to polished and honed finishes, for instance, this one in particular grabs the attention for simulating real leather. Amazing, right?
So keep reading to find out all about them. Or, in case you’d like to update your knowledge on granite countertops in general, read our complete guide here.
What are leathered countertops?
As mentioned above, leathered countertops are fancy new options on the market nowadays, especially for kitchen remodels. This type of finish surrounds the granite surface with a more matte appearance, highlighting its natural grooves and veining, while producing a stunning simple-like texture to the touch.
Needless to say, it is a complicated process that requires meticulous expertise all the way through. In order to achieve this soft sheen, a honed granite must be run over by diamond-tipped brushes by hand. Since it retains a lot of its original color, this is usually done on darker stones. Still, homeowners can have a lot of personal design choices here, even as far as choosing how smooth or rough they want the leathered countertop to be.
Styles and thematic uses
You can do very interesting things with a leathered countertop. In fact, it goes along with every type of theme, especially with traditional ones – like rustic wooden cabinets and thicker family furniture in your place.
- Kitchens and bathrooms: The popular go-to options and for a good reason, as we’ll talk about in a bit. Kitchen islands, for that matter, can be turned into grub hubs for your visitors, where you’ll be able to play games and eat with warm elbows.
- Hallways: Speaking about family heirlooms, do you know those ornaments and photos hanging along the corridors? Well, leathered finishes are a good way to spice things up and “fill” those empty, bland spaces.
Why choose leathered countertop finishes?
There are many advantages of picking a leathered finish for your granite stone. Some of them include:
- Easier maintenance: For starters, they are stain resistant, which is saying a lot for most stones. That makes it a perfect finish for kitchens and yards. Not only that, but routine cleanup is much simpler than that of polished granite, for example – since it makes hassles such as fingerprints, smudges and water spots much harder to be seen.
- Unique texture: It’s incredible the way it feels. Upon installation, you might even find it difficult to identify your stone, for it reminds a lot of stuffed furniture. This elegant finish may take some of the brightness out of it, but it will enhance the natural tones of the chosen granite like no other.
- Depth: Trust us when we say that leathered countertops give the room a broader sense of depth. It offers the stone the kind of coziness that its thin surface usually lacks, making it a more personal piece of home.
Are there any cons?
Well, there are some downsides in choosing this type of finish, although they don’t outweigh the benefits.
The main one is that scratch marks will be a common occurrence. Because of its peculiar texture, the stone is prone to chips and cracks caused by sharp items like knives and metallic appliances, so you’ll need to be careful in the kitchen. An easy, straightforward solution for that is, of course, sealing your granite with a professional. Strong and trustful sealers will take care of most of your worries.
Contact Eagle Stones today!
We can provide you with trusted supply and installation services all over the county of Sarasota, Florida! Check out the full online catalog and speak to our team so we can start your dream project right away!
Did you know we also sell pavers? In case you’re interested, click here.